Dawson is the transferred use of an English patronymic surname, from the medieval nickname for David, Daw – so Dawson essentially means ‘son of David’.
What is another name for David?
Other common English-language hypocorisms of the name David are Davey, Davie, and Davy. The Welsh Dafydd is also abbreviated Dewi, Dai and Daf. In Ashkenazi Jewish culture, common hypocorisms of Dovid are Dovi and Dov. Dudi is a common hypocorism in Modern Hebrew.
What names means son?
The most obvious names that mean son literally have son as their last syllable: Anderson and Harrison.. The prefixes Mc or Mac, O’, and Fitz, as in McCoy or Fitzgerald, also mean son. There are also many more unique and surprising names that carry a less obvious meaning of son.
What does the name Dave mean for a boy?
The name Dave is primarily a male name of English origin that means Beloved. Diminutive form of David.
What name means first born son?
Kazuo (Japanese origin) meaning “first son”.
What’s a good nickname for David?
Common nicknames for David include:
- Dave: Suggests a more casual but still reliable figure. Dave Matthews the musician, and Dave Chappelle the comedian, use their nickname professionally.
- Davy/Davey/Davie: Less formal than Dave, the nickname Davy conjures up a more playful spirit.
Is David a strong name?
From the origin dod, David is a religious powerhouse of a name meaning “beloved” or “beloved uncle.” His use spans millennia and he continues to be a popular choice today. … David ages well and remains a strong choice for a boy name.
What name means favored son?
72 Baby Names That Mean Favour
|Mincho||A favourite of all, son of the closest companion||Hebrew,Spanish|
|Mollyann||God has favoured us||Hebrew|
|Naaji||A valuable or favourable person||African|
|Nafiah||The person who is benevolent, beneficial, favourable.||Arabic|
What boy name means king?
Along with Henry, other names that mean ruler or royal in the US Top 1000 include Frederick, Derek, Rex, and Eric. Boy names that mean king include Balthasar, Kingsley, Malik, and Rory. King names for girls — yes, that’s a thing — include Kinsey, Rory, and Reagan. There is even a prince name for girls, Maella.
What boy name means son of God?
52. Jesus: Meaning “God is salvation”. The son of God. Of Greek origin.
Is Dave the same as David?
David, with its final “d”, sounds finished and complete, whereas Dave’ just kind of hangs there in the air, indefinitely. – – – Worse, if your name is ‘ Dave , the only possible nickname is “Davey”, which makes you sound like you should be wearing a coonskin cap.
What kind of name is Dave?
The name Dave is a boy’s name of Hebrew origin meaning “beloved”.
What is a unique boy name?
Popular Yet Unique Baby Boy Names
- Sebastian. Although still a unique name for boys in the United States, Sebastian has been quite popular in Europe for many centuries. …
- Mateo. This name has grown in popularity in the United States but remains unique. …
- Ezra. …
- Elias. …
- Silas. …
- Waylen. …
- Gael. …
What boy name means blessing?
Boy Names that Mean Blessing
Barack – Swahili, meaning “a blessing.” Barke – African, meaning “many blessings.” Benedict – Latin, meaning “a blessed boy.” Beneficio – Italian, meaning “a blessing.”
What name means gift from God?
Gracious Baby Names That Mean Gift From God
- Adiel. Meaning: Hebrew for God sent.
- Anana. Meaning: Greek for “Given by God”
- Corbon. Meaning: Hebrew for “Offered from God”
- Donato. Meaning: Italian for “Gift from God”
- Dorek. Meaning: Polish for “God’s Gift.
- Elsi. Meaning: Greek for “God’s satisfaction sent to earth”
- Gaddiel. …
What boy name means loyal?
Baby boy names that mean “faithful,” “honest” and “just”
- Amin: Faithful, trustworthy.
- Dillon: Loyal.
- Fidel: Faithful.
- Justus: Upright, just.
- Renjiro: Upright, honest.
- Sadiki: Faithful, loyal.
- Truesdale: Honest man’s valley.
- Truman: Loyal one.